Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ultra Music Festival


I had to really contemplate writing a blog about this event, because in all honesty I am mind blown and don’t really have words… or a voice for that matter. Anyways, the weekend we’ve all been waiting for hit Miami this weekend—Ultra Music Festival. It’s the dance party of all dance parties, with so many great DJ’s you have to split all of their set times just to see them all.


After their two-weekend extravaganza last year, Ultra cut it back to a one weekend overload. And by overload I also mean it left me feeling like I had a hole in my wallet. Many people (especially veteran Ultra fans) have been complaining about the ticket hike this year. Tickets were close to $500 a pop if you were an unfortunate soul like me who missed the early bird special.



“This is an event so deeply loved by the people of Miami, that I have a distinct memory of being on a bus to a UM Football game when Ultra sent a mass e-mail about Early Bird tickets coming out within the hour. This was in October… UM students were frantically on their phones, calling their parents at home and freaking out to make sure they snagged one of the few rare gems that is an early bird ticket, that’s over $100 cheaper,” said UM student Shirin Galal. “I mean its obvious, Ultra is a BIG deal.”



This year, major headlines on the Main Stage included Zedd, Kaskade, Tiesto, Martin Garrix, Nicky Romero, Krewella, Alesso, Armin Van Buuren, Afrojack, Steve Angello, David Guetta, Hardwell and many, many more. See the full list here: http://www.ultramusicfestival.com/lineup

As always there were many stages including a Live Stage in the Bayfront Amphitheater and a Worldwide Stage. My favorite sets of the weekend were definitely Kaskade (he #meltedmyfaceoff), Steve Angello and Alesso. But honestly, everyone at the Main Stage was awesome. The stage was like a vortex of blinding colors and lights. It is so entrancing, once you go to that stage it’s hard to leave. The stages keep getting better and better every year. Each festival one-ups the last. There were a few DJ’s that weren’t on the lineup I was a bit upset about, including Tommy Trash and always my personal favorite, R3hab. (Thank god I saw him during MMW at Story for the third time this year…)

'Murica, Miami and Kaskade.

Despite the controversy surrounding the lack of security after the accident this year, Ultra – you have 100% of my support! Hand over the petition and let’s #SAVEULTRA.

The closing set of the weekend had a lot to live up to considering last year’s farewell set from the world renowned Swedish House Mafia. The closing set had pretty big shoes to fill but Hardwell killed it and the crowd went wild. I don’t know where the wind will take me next year, but whether or not I’m still in Miami, you can count on me being at Ultra 2015. Early Bird freak out… here I come.

^^ Because did you really go to Ultra if you don't have a pic on someone's shoulders?

No comments:

Post a Comment